Navigation

Monday, January 9, 2017

The Versatility of Early Era Mountain Bikes


I'm loving this 1987 Schwinn High Sierra restoration project from Josh Capps over at The Simplicity of Vintage Bicycles. I would call this a very light resto-mod, turning an all-terrain machine into a neighborhood grocery carrier, but clearly maintaining the look and feel of the original bike. I mean, he kept the damn thumb-shifters for God's sake!

But look closely and you'll see some pretty neat updates. The Bullmoose handlebars are probably the most jarring change; they're pretty eye-catching and quite distinct. But don't overlook the Brooks Cambium C17 saddle, which is a relatively new non-leather addition to the Brooks product line. It looks right at home on the High Sierra - so much so that I almost missed it at first glance.

I must admit I've been considering a project much like this. I obviously have a fondness for old GT mountain bikes, but vintage Treks and Bridgestones do it for me as well. With a few modifications here and there, one of these machines would make a fantastic (and essentially bomb-proof) urban assault bike. Now I just need to find the perfect donor bike/frame...

1 comment:

  1. That Schwinn looks great.
    I've long been a big fan of making old CroMo mountain bikes into "grocery getters". I fell into a mid-90s Trek 820 (full rigid frame/fork) some years ago at a garage sale and spent less than what I would have at the bar for a few beers. Once I washed off the dust, the components looked nearly un-used. The only problem was nicks in the paint, likely from being moved "out of the way" in the garage, I'd guess.
    Anyhow, I put fat slick tires on it, a leather saddle, I changed the grip-shifts for stem shifters (I don't like grip shifters at all, and happened to have the stem shifters handy. It was supposed to be "temporary" and 5-ish years later, I'm just now getting around to changing them.) and a rack, and it transformed into the greatest bike-path cruiser ever. It would make an incredible commuter. Strong, comfortable, able to fit whatever tires you need on it, etc. I mostly use it for summer "beer cruises" with friends. A cooler full of beer on the rack gives a bit of the "tail wags the dog" effect, but it gets lighter as the evening wears on :)
    I really can't recommend this style of build enough. Everybody ought to have one in their stable.

    It's currently on the stand, it's being spruced up and I'm giving it a bit of the ol' Rivendell treatment.

    Here's a pic of it, pre-makeover: http://i.imgur.com/jye7XhR.jpg


    Wolf.

    ReplyDelete