Navigation

Monday, April 25, 2016

The GT Outpost Gets (Another) New Life


It took some work to get the old GT Outpost into decent condition after being neglected for so long. Once the bike was undressed down to the frame, the components and frame were cleaned thoroughly with soap and water. After that, I attacked any spots of rust with the polishing wheel. The front derailleur and the original crankset were too far gone, so they ended up in the trash. And I figured this was the time to go ahead and replace the old, beat up rear derailleur as well. KC was kind enough to give me a spare Shimano STX RC rear derailleur and a Shimano XTR crankset, and I picked up a Shimano STX front derailleur from Queen City Cycles. Once everything was cleaned up, I bolted the components back onto the bike. Then I slapped a new chain on the drivetrain, ran new cables and housing, and dialed everything in.

I've developed a new-found respect for this bike as I worked on it over the past couple weeks. The triple triangle frame made with 4130 chromoly is pretty much bulletproof. It also has double eyelets both front and rear, so it's ready to handle loaded all-terrain touring. Many miles on the Katy Trail have shown that it rides beautifully on longer trips. And my best attempts at attacking single track have shown that it's highly versatile. While I don't ride it as often as I should, I hope to keep this machine around for many more years.






3 comments:

  1. Was this beautiful bike recently stolen? Or sold in springfield missouri? If so, i ended up purchasing it from an old man at a local scrapyard. He was about to have it along with a lot of other bikes crushed for metal weight....sad huh? BUT i had a friend who knows of my passion for bikes and he contacted me wheb he saw what the older gentleman had and was about to do with them. I raced down to the scrapyard on my very rare 29"chrome Moongoose Mangusta allterrain bike. And when i arrived i had to purchase all the bikes he had in order to get that particular GT. I do not have the bike anymore as i gave it to my friend Coral A. Trail as a gift for her 21st birthday. She was ecstatic to recieve it as it matched perfectly the color of her hair at that time! Lol... if its indeed the same bike id like to help you to recover it if i can. my number is (417)527-5725 and my name is Donnie W. Brown Jr. Call anytime you are free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donnie - Mine is still safe and sound in my garage. Glad to hear there's another rig like this getting good use! They're great bikes!

      Cody

      Delete
  2. I do have pictures of the one i had if needed....

    ReplyDelete