Navigation

Monday, February 17, 2014

Prepping The Garage For Tinkerization


Ginger shared this image yesterday via Instragram. It's our backyard during day one of a major garage reorganization. It's hard to believe, but we moved into our new house nearly six months ago. All that time, I've been living with a majority of my tools packed away. I'm not going to pretend it hasn't been difficult keeping 5 bikes up and running with very few tools and little space. But it's been a harsh winter, which has kept Ginger off of her bike for all but a few weekend rides, so my machine is really the only one that has required much upkeep.

With the mild weather we had last weekend, I decided it was time to get started on setting up the Tinkery. The breadth of the work involved hanging my canoe on the wall using my canoe brackets. The rest of the day was mostly spent just shuffling stacks of boxes and gear around the garage, clearing space for shelving, and piling tools and bike parts where my future work bench will be located. As some of you may already know, my previous wooden work bench was stolen from behind our house, where it was living temporarily until I could make space for it in the garage - or until someone relieved me of it while I was sleeping.

My next step will be to build a new work bench and install some racks to hang bikes on the wall. I'm considering hanging a couple bikes horizontally and a couple vertically; the tandem may end up hanging from the ceiling. I'm not entirely sure yet. I don't have much room, so bike storage arrangement may be a bit tricky. What can I say? It's a small one-car garage. Then it'll just be a matter of getting tools and parts organized and stored properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment