Navigation

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

From two cars to one. To two. To one.

Shortly after Ginger moved back to Columbia and started riding her bike all over town, she sold her car. She hitched a ride with me once in a while when the need arose, and overall being a one-car couple was pretty easy. But when we found out we were going to be parents, my old Mazda sedan started to seem a bit small, outdated, and perhaps relatively unsafe. We bought a lightly used station wagon, but I loved my old sedan so we kept it around. I'd say it was probably a good decision, but in so doing, we reverted back to being a two-car family.

We've remained a two-car family for about three and a half years now, with all of the insurance payments, maintenance costs, and other expenses that go along with it. When we moved to Springfield back in October, we talked seriously about getting rid of my old Mazda, but procrastination prevailed and other issues took precedence. But now that we're trying to scrounge up some cash to buy a house, it seemed as good a time as any to go ahead and get rid of it. Our lifestyle certainly doesn't justify ownership of two cars, so I put the old girl up for sale. Late this morning, I watched her leave our driveway for the last time. I hope the new owners get as much enjoyment out of the old rig as I did; for the last 7 years it's required little more than routine maintenance and it's been a fantastic car.

Going from two cars to one is going to be a notable lifestyle change, albeit one that we've already made once before. It won't be as substantial a change as going car-less (I've always admired those who are brave and smart enough to go without a motor vehicle), but I think it will turn out to be a great decision for our small family. And, who knows, maybe this will give me the reason I've been looking for to buy a motorcycle.

1 comment: