Navigation

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My New Interest in Flat Squirrels

I ran across an article on Wired Science titled "Count Roadkill From Your Bike for Science."  Obviously, I'm a big fan of bikes.  Otherwise I wouldn't be coauthoring a blog about bicycles.  But I'm also a big fan of science.  So when you combine the two, I get a little giddy.  This is one such instance.  It's not the most glamorous marriage of bicycling and science, given that the goal is to track roadkill.  But this project is a hands-on way for cyclists to help record observations that could potentially make our roadways safer for vehicles of all kinds, as well as for wildlife.

To participate, just go to ASC's Roadkill Project site and click on 'Enter a Roadkill Observation.'  If you haven't already, you'll need to register.  Then you'll be prompted to enter your data for the observation.  As with any scientific observation, the more descriptive an observer can be, the better the observation.  The species of the flattened creature, the time/date that you observed it, the specific location (which can be selected by finding the location on a hi-res map), a photo, and any other pertinent details can be entered into the data collection fields and submitted to ASC for this project.

I'm definitely going to start noting my roadkill observations and entering them into the site.  If you're out on the road a lot - either for recreation or for commuting - this is a great way to get involved in a cool conservation project.

No comments:

Post a Comment