Navigation

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Don't Make Me Go Out There


Here in southwest Missouri, we're now in the midst of an early summer heat wave. Day time temperatures have been in the mid-90s, with heat indices topping out at over 100 degrees throughout most of the last week. Even after the sun goes down, temperatures stay in the 80s until close to midnight and the humidity hovers at around 90%. While this isn't all that unusual for this time of year in the Midwest, it still sucks.

My garage - which also serves as my shop - is not air conditioned. It's also not very well insulated. So the garage is basically the same temperature as the outside temperature, except with a slight lag due to radiative heating from the brick exterior. This means that in the evenings, when I normally wrench in the shop, it's as hot as it was in the late afternoon but the humidity is skyrocketing. It's sticky and gross. I keep a box fan running, but it's still pretty miserable.

I have a hard time talking myself into working in the shop this time of year unless I have something really pressing to get to. I will find nearly any excuse to stay in the air conditioned house and not go out into the shop. My bicycle is my primary means of transportation, so it needs to stay in good working order. But any projects (like the Panasonic Touring Deluxe project I'm currently working on) end up taking a back seat until the weather cools off.

If it sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into getting an air conditioner for the shop, that may be true. But I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment