Navigation

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

My Ride to the Frisco Highline Trail

Yesterday my most recent post for HLA went live on their blog. In this post, I discussed my ride up to the Frisco Highline trailhead on west Kearney. I wanted to follow up with a couple of thoughts that weren't really pertinent for the purposes of the HLA blog.

As I mentioned in the original post, I left home just before dusk, and much of my 18 mile round trip was in darkness. I used to be a little freaked out when riding at night. But lately, I've realized that I really enjoy it. In the warmer months, the air is cooler and less muggy at night. And in an odd sort of way, I feel safer sharing the roadways with motorists after dark than I do during the day; something about my bright blinking lights seems to grab the attention of motorists in a way that the sight of a bicyclist in the daylight does not. So even though I spent quite a bit of time anxiously making my way down major roadways like Kearney, West Bypass, and Division, it was a great ride and I never felt like I was in any real danger.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I left home for my ride without eating dinner. On my way back into downtown,  my legs were definitely starting to feel the effects of low blood sugar. So I stopped in to Coyote's Sports Cafe for some wings with a side of fries and a big ass margarita. No, it wasn't health food, but it was delicious as hell. And if you haven't tried their twice-fried Cajun wings, you're seriously missing out on something special.

No comments:

Post a Comment