Navigation

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Popping My Ozark Greenways Cherry


I'm a little late getting to this, but there were a couple of organized rides scheduled for last weekend. I decided to skip the Nixa Bike Ride, which has been rescheduled for June 29th due to weather, and attend the Polk County Wildflower Ride on the Ozark Greenways instead. Unfortunately, it was still raining when the Wildflower Ride started, so I opted to skip that ride as well. I sent a message out to my sister and good friend that were planning on going with me, saying that we'd go heckle the governor during his event up at the Dry Sac trail later that day, but that event too was postponed.

Undeterred, we decided that if we couldn't facilitate a bike ride with an organized event, we'd just organize our own. My sister, her boyfriend, and one of our buddies met up at my house and made our way down to the Galloway Trail trailhead on Seminole and rode the entire length of the trail. There were a few flooded areas that required some portaging, and there was a brief stop for beer at the Brown Derby on Battlefield, but otherwise we stayed in the saddle and made great time getting to the south edge of town. Our plan was to continue on up the James River Trail, making a big loop and ending up back at the Galloway trailhead, but the James River Trail was badly flooded, so we just turned around and went back the way we had come.

This was the first time I had ventured out on the Greenways and I was not disappointed. I'm definitely looking forward to spending more time on the Galloway Greenway, as well as exploring the other trails in and around Springfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment