Navigation

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My Downton Abbey Confession

OK, I admit it.  I'm a fiend for Downton Abbey.
 
I'm totally involved with the characters and it's easily one of my favorite television shows.  But what really turns be into a slobbering Pavlovian dog are the bicycles.  One of the main characters, the heir of Downton, is cousin Matthew, and he spends a great deal of screen time with a bicycle in his hands.  Although you rarely see him riding one, as he's usually walking his bike alongside the lovely-yet-fickle Lady Mary.  Regardless, the early 20th century bicycles that are used as props throughout the show are totally bitchin' and I've spent a lot of time ogling them throughout the course of the series.

A fairly thorough internet search revealed that there are a couple blogs that have compiled images of the bicycles of Downton Abbey.  Check them out here and here.  Unfortunately, I was unable to find any information on the specific bicycles that were used in the series.  And I'm not versed well enough on pre-war era British bicycles to attempt to identify them myself.  There is a documentary on Downton Abbey called Behind the Drama, which I haven't seen, but I wouldn't count on there being much information on bicycles included.

Oh well.  Perhaps someday someone more resourceful than I can shed some light on the fantastic machines of Downton.  Until then, I'll just keep gushing over every little glimpse of bicycle that the show provides me.

No comments:

Post a Comment